Yo! My name is Namu (sounds like fondue). Super glad to have you here on my website! I’m a Bay Area-born, West Virginia-raised photographer, and I've lived in California nearly my entire adult life. I've created images for thousands of clients over more than a decade and I still get excited before shoots!
As a photographer, my most important goal is to build a community of clients who know me, like me and trust me.
To create that community, I work extra hard to be authentic in everything I do, to put service over financial success and to make integrity a pillar of my business practices. I've made mistakes in both my personal and work life that led to people I cared about being hurt, and it took a really long time for me to mature enough to even understand that I'd hurt people. Once I did, though, I started working hard to improve. I can't erase the past, but I've learned a lot from it, and I've turned those life lessons into the foundation of my work practices. I still have miles to go, but my journey continues to make me into a better business person, a better friend and a better citizen of the world.
I've worked in the photography industry for nearly two decades. All those years have taught me some very valuable skills, and my most favorite of them is knowing how to catch moments that many others might miss. I’m also particularly good at making people feel welcome, relaxed and comfortable, which means photos look more natural and you can often really feel the vibe of what I was photographing. The compliment I hear more than any other is a client telling me some variation of “So many of my guests told me you were awesome!” Makes me happy.
Other things that make me happy:
when my son decides he isn’t too embarrassed to hold my hand in public (he’s at that age, lol), the sound of raindrops on a metal roof (hard to find in Cali, lol), reading a great book in the shade of a tree next to a stream, looking at color palettes and dreaming about painting walls in funky colors, dancing to hiphop and neosoul, and wandering aimlessly around cultural festivals. I adore meeting new people and learning about who they are, where they're from and what drives them.
– I’m ridiculously in love with sushi. Like, a lot. Too much, probably. OK, I have a problem with sushi.
– I’m a silver medal winner in the U.S. Academic Decathlon. Don’t be too impressed, the category was “extemporaneous speaking” which roughly translates to being very good at talking about nothing, lol.
– I was a nightclub bouncer/head of security for a decade, and discovered my love of photography during that time period.
– “Namu” is my real name, on my birth certificate and everything. Ask me about how I got the name!
– I’m pretty good at dodgeball, in spite of being old as dirt.
– My kiddo is three times as cute as I am, and I’m pretty damned cute.
– I was a rapper in my twenties and during my rap career I opened up for KRS-One, Lil’ Kim, Salt N’ Pepa, Common and hundreds of other acts you’ve probably only heard of if you’re really into 90s hip hop.
But enough about me, let’s talk about you! Are you ready to take the next step? I’d love to speak with you on the phone, email or through video chat. Let’s get you some gorgeous photos!